Thursday, May 28, 2009

More thoughts on babies

Yesterday afternoon when technical difficulties made a lot of my effort futile, I went out to buy a gift for a baby shower. It is for a grad student with whom I have published, and it was fun to look at stuff. There are so many new gadgets and gizmos. The baby monitor we used seems so... "primative" now.

After "oohing and ahhing" over tiny little socks for awhile, I made my purchases. As much fun as the shopping was, I'm still glad it wasn't for me.

Now, I believe I could have lived a happy fulfilling life without a husband and without children. I am also glad I had children, and I am incredibly proud of my offspring. I mean, it's hard not to be when Jen is on stage or Tim fields a double play. They are also, at times, difficult, messy, and expensive. Reproducing is not a choice that should be made lightly.

Life is a series of experiences, and child-rearing is one stage of my life. I am looking forward to the "empty nest," being alone with my spouse again, and enjoying the next phase of my life. I have no regrets about my kids, including them growing up and successfully leaving my home!

Original photo courtesy PhotoXpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment