Monday, May 24, 2010

Neckwear Discrimination?

Last week my husband and I travelled together. On the final day, wePhotoxpress_4778471 both found ourselves flying in serious business attire. My ensemble included a lightweight scarf, about the weight of the one in the photo.

My scarf must be placed in a bin and xrayed as we go through security.

What I do not understand is why his necktie can be adequately screened while still on his body.

detail of a business man with coloured tieSeriously, how would I hide a significant deadly object in a sheer scarf that could not also be obscured by a silk tie?

This may just be one of those mysteries we never understand. I would love to understand the rationale. If you know anyone from TSA, have them wander by and explain this policy to me.

In the meantime, I guess scarves are one more thing I will try to avoid on travel days.

Pretty soon I will be avoiding so many items that I may end up flying naked.

Images courtesy of PhotoXpress.

2 comments:

  1. The TSA and all of its regulations are nothing more than "security theater": they provide the illusion of security to the traveling public, but have absolutely no effect whatsoever on actual security.

    ReplyDelete