Saturday, May 15, 2010

What I'm Reading

A couple of weeks back, while at Experimental Biology, I saw Denialism displayed in the exhibit hall. I read the book jacket, whipped out my Kindle, and downloaded the book (immediate gratification). I did not start it immediately (delayed gratification), but I have now made my way about 3/4 through it.
Michael Specter examines many issues in modern society where belief trumps rational thought, including the anti-vaccination movement, genetically-modified foods, and dietary supplements. He presents the science, and the facts, as well as the viewpoints of the opposing side.
Unfortunately, many of the people who need to read this book will not. They do not seek facts or the truth; they believe what they want, and rational arguments will not sway them.
For the next few days I will be out and about with little time to blog. If you need to read something in my absence, buy Denialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment