Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Unbelievable!

I’m watching a show on TLC that I have never seen before:

I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant!

Photoxpress_3376183

Now, as a physician I have seen a few women who denied being pregnant while in active labor; these were generally teens who denied ever having sex. They were clearly in deep, deep denial.

The women on this show are different. Most are older. Some have had prior pregnancies. Most took urine pregnancy tests that were negative. So why didn’t these women seek medical attention? One had irregular periods and all sorts of pain and fatigue. One developed breast discharge, yet still didn’t seek medical attention.

I guess I can believe that there are this many women who make it to term without knowing they are pregnant. I just can’t believe it’s a TV series.

Image courtesy of PhotoXpress.

No comments:

Post a Comment