Friday, October 16, 2009

What I'm Reading

It's been a while since I shared my pleasure reading. Last weekend I began The Crime Writer after my dad passed along a copy. It only took a couple of days to finish it, and I recommend it highly.

The protagonist, a successful crime novelist, awakens in a hospital room. He was found seizing, holding the knife that killed his ex-fiance, lying across her corpse. Ultimately found guilty of the crime, he is freed because of the benign brain tumor that could have induced temporary insanity, as well as the seizures.

He gets home, and has bizarre "dreams" complicated by unexplained injuries. To determine if he is sleepwalking, he sets up a webcam to record his sleep. This comes in handy the second night, when a young woman is found dead with injuries virtually identical to his ex-fiance.

He responds by doing that which he has always done: writing. As he assembles the story he is living, his research brings him to the real killer(s). Of course.

Mysteries enthrall me; I can't get enough of them, and I almost always uncover the key plot elements before the detective. This novel accomplished a rare feat: I did not figure out who the real killer(s) was/were until the same moment the protagonist did. That alone makes it an amazing read. The book is sprinkled with interesting facts and technical details, as well as one key plot twist, but it won't hurt your brain.

My patients have occupied me fully for the last 5 days, but I should find time to open something new this weekend. Keep on reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment