Friday, September 18, 2009

What I’m Reading

Angels Game

Sometime last year, a copy of The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, came to me. For several days life was on hold while I perused its pages, enjoying the world it painted. If you have not read that one, STOP RIGHT NOW and get a copy. The story tells of the power of books, and reading the novel illustrates the power of books.

When I learned that The Angel’s Game would be available in translation, I was excited. Thus far, the tome does not disappoint. It starts with an orphaned child who has a gift of words and storytelling. He works as a gopher for a Barcelona newspaper, but is given the chance to write in 1917. He starts spinning tales of an underworld that captivates readers and leads to success. I am not yet a quarter through the book, but it already provides that mystical quality to events that makes me wonder what is reality and what might be magic. Once again, books have value and meaning beyond the printed word.

I am glad that my week of call finished a few minutes ago. While I have chores this weekend (Hello, laundry!) I hope to make major headway in the story. If events prevent its completion over the weekend, well, I have airport time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment