Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Art of Packing

I officially start my 2010 travels today, blogging from Omaha’s Eppley Airfield. When I awoke, Omaha registered 9 degrees; I am heading to the San Diego area where the predicted high for the next 5 days hovers around 70. I will be making a stop in Denver, where I hope my only exposure involves the climate-controlled airport.

I managed to get clothing for this 5-day adventure into a roll-Jeansaboard bag and my computer tote. How? Careful planning and experience!

For today, I start with a pair of dark-wash, straight-leg jeans and a black leather belt that will fill all my needs during the trip. To these I add a comfortable, cotton top with elbow-length sleeves. It will be warm enough on the plane, but comfortable at my destination as well.FlowerTop 

My parents dropped me off this morning; had I been parking at the airport, I would have worn a sensible puffer coat and left it in the car. With delivery and pick-up service from family, I could forego that layer and wear a water-resistant gray trench, the perfect weight for windy evenings along the bay.GrayTrench

On my feet are a pair of 3” black patent slingbacks that are incredibly comfortable and easy to take off for security. They will work with most of my outfits, although I did squeeze in one pair of open-toed shoes. I have no idea when enough snow and slush will clear in Omaha to wear them at home.

I only needed 3 days plus the travel days for this meeting. I easily could have done one or two more days with a couple of additional shirts, as I will demonstrate in the days to come. Had this meeting required cold-weather clothes or dressier attire, I might have had to check a garment bag. In that case, my shoe wardrobe would also expand.

So challenge yourself to carry-on for meetings. Plan your wardrobe carefully (that is what a spreadsheet is for).

No comments:

Post a Comment